Sunday, June 9, 2013

Readers' Choice


            Throughout my high school years, I have always enjoyed English classes, although I’m not a very good writer. Some of the books were awesome, while others were just dead awful. When I actually started to understand Shakespeare, I realized how much I loved it and still wish we spoke like he did. Then came the class Readers’ Choice. I still recall the first day. I laugh because I remembered my teaching stating, “You do have to read in this class, that is why it’s called Readers’ Choice”. All the juniors transferred out after they heard that. 

            Many students have mix emotions about the class, some better than others. I for one enjoyed it very much. The best thing about it is that you get to pick your own books. No more boring novels. Even when we had to pick a book out of our comfort zone, I still enjoyed it. Students complain about the assignments given but it sure beats taking quizzes and tests every couple of weeks. It was a very liberal class. What I mean by this is that the students had many choices. They didn’t have to pick just one genre; you had a range. Like I mentioned before, the assignments could be a boost on your grade, since they are worth a test grade, or a killer. In all honesty though, it wasn’t hard. Just do it and don’t complain. But I understand because we are seniors and school is almost over. I understand why there were assignments and other assessments. Without them, it couldn’t have been a class. Grades can’t just be on book talks or class discussions.  
           
            Overall, it was an awesome class! A little effort and you’ll have no problems. It was a great way to end the year although our class choice read Every Man by Philip Roth is a little depressing. Our class is hilarious and our teacher is amazing. Last English class as a senior, which is a little sad but still a great experience.

2 comments:

  1. Readers' Choice was the perfect class to end my high school experience, too! I really enjoyed the liberty to choose books that were interesting to me and the encouragement to read novels outside my comfort zone. I agree that, at times, Readers' Choice did involve more work than I anticipated or appreciated; however, the extra assignments to prove we had read the books was worth the freedom provided by this class. I enjoyed this experience and appreciated my new value for reading that I have gained from this class!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so right, Jazmine! I love reading, but some of the books that I was forced to read were terrible. It's one of the reasons I chose to take this class. I knew that there was work that was going to be involved because it is a class, not an actual book club, but I have to admit, I was a little intimidated at the beginning by the number of assignments. However, I quickly found out that it wasn't very difficult and therefore wasn't a problem. I love that this class gave me the opportunity to read the books I wanted to. It was a great way to finish my senior year!

    ReplyDelete