Tuesday, June 4, 2013

The Experience of Reading on a Nook


            I had use an E-reader before Readers’ Choice, but probably only once during the summer. When I started using it more, I realized how much more I liked it. Compared to a book, I’m kind of neutral. The Nook is easier to hold, especially compared to when reading a thick book like 11/22/63 by Stephen King. The reader does not have the hassle of going to Barnes and Nobles to purchase the book; they have the convenience of buying it right when they want it. (One thing I must confess is how much I love going to Barnes and Nobles and spending hours looking through books.) I also noticed that by reading on the Nook, I tend to enjoy the book more. In other words, I don’t notice how much more I have left until I finish the book. Yes, on an E-reader it gives a percentage or the pages left, but it’s not the same when the person physically sees how much more they have until the end.
             What I do miss though is not having the actual book to add to my bookshelf. You’re probably thinking this is weird, but it’s true. Over a certain period of time, I like to review or count how many books I’ve read since the last time I checked. On the nook, you do have a mini library but it isn’t the same.

  

            Earlier on, I mentioned how I’m in the middle on whether I had to pick between the Nook and an actual book. I still don’t know; it depends. When I travel, I always bring my nook because it is easier to carry. Also, when I’m on the beach or something, I don’t have to worry about the pages getting wrinkled or bent. One of the things I love most is how I can change the front whenever I want to. In the past, I would constantly hear my mom complaining on how she wanted to purchase a book but the front was way too small. I can totally relate because when the same problem would happen, I would get upset. It’s annoying reading small front and getting dizzy or losing track on what you were reading. Another thing I enjoy is how in an E-reader, I can highlight and add notes. If you’re like me, you don’t like writing on books, especially if it was expensive or is a classic.
             So I guess you can say I’m truly an in the middle. It’s kind of cheating, I know. Although I love technology, I hope that in the future we still have the choice between purchasing a book and buying it on the E-reader. What do you think? Please, leave any comment down below.

No comments:

Post a Comment